Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin (Rural Housing Scheme) Lauched by Modi Ji
The Prime Minister’s flagship housing scheme called the PM Awas Yojana has seen some new developments. In a recent announcement made by the central government, there is a talk of implementation of the Awas scheme for the rural population. This implementation of housing developments in the rural areas of the nation will be done under the name of Gramin – Awas Yojana. This new leg of the main policy PM Awas Yojana called the Gramin is dedicated only for the rural masses. The central govt. has promised to give pucca housing facilities to the village people under the new amendment and the entire work will be done by 2022.
Why there is a need to launch a special Gramin Awas Yojana by the central government?
In the rural parts of the countries, it is seen that maximum people do not have proper roof over their head. They do not have suitable houses to live and to nurture their families. The maximum percentage of rural population does not have adequate financial strength to build houses of their own. Moreover, they also do not get the home loan facilities that most of the urban population enjoys. Banks are not ready to give them housing loans as they do not have strong assets or guarantee for loan approval. So in this case, the Modi Govt. is keen to implement the PM Awas Yojana in the villages of each and every state by the name of Gramin, Awas Yojana and has decided to provide houses to the rural men by 2022.
Number of houses to be made in Gramin – Awas Yojana
The rural leg of the Awas Yojana called the Gramin will be especially dedicated to the housing developments of the rural parts of the country. Almost all the states and union territories are being targeted for the project work. As per records of the Ministry of Housing, Govt. of India, the government has analyzed the number of houses required in the Gramin – Awas Yojana. The central govt. has decided to build a record number of 1 crore houses under this Gramin – Awas Yojana. These sanctioned 1 crore houses will be built only for the families living in the rural areas of the country.
What is the time of completion of Gramin – the Awas Yojana for rural areas?
AS per the reports of central government, the Gramin project for the Awas Yojana to provide housing facilities to the rural people is to be completed within three years. The government will start work for this Gramin project from this year itself and the work of building 1 crore pucca houses in the rural areas will be done by 2019. As per the P M Awas Yojana, the deadline of this project is 2022. But the Government wants to finish the work in the rural area at first, and then cover the rest work. So after the project of Gramin – Awas Yojana gets over, the housing development of the urban areas will be done.
- Cost incurred for the project
The estimated cost that the government has sanctioned for the P M Awas Yojana – Gramin is Rs. 81,975 crore. This entire amount will be spent only for building pucca houses for the people living in the rural areas. This entire amount will be spent to build and develop housing facilities for the people living in the remote rural villages of the nation, who do not have proper housing facilities. As per the Ministry of Housing, the project cost will be shared by both the central govt. and the state govt.
Areas which will not be covered under the PM Awas Yojana – Gramin
Although, the central govt. has decided to implement the Gramin housing project in each and every village of the nation. It has kept two cities aside which will not be covered under the P M Awas Yojana – Gramin. These two cities are the country capital Delhi and another major city, Chandigarh. The rest parts of the country will experience the rural housing development work within 2019. But these two areas will not be covered under the rural housing scheme and the work will start here after the Gramin project gets completed.
- Enhancing the sanction amount for the houses
The central government has decided to increase the sanction amount which was earlier registered for each house under the P M Awas Yojana. Earlier, the government had decided to give 1 lakh per house under the scheme. But under the rural housing scheme of the Awas Yojana called the Gramin, the Govt. has increased the sanctioned amount to Rs. 1.2 lakh for the houses to be built in plan rural areas. For the villages in the hilly areas or difficult areas like deserts, the sanctioned amount for each house has been modified to Rs. 1.3 lakh. These amounts will be direct subsidy from the government and the amounts will be shared by both the central govt. and the state govt.
- How the Government will meet the additional expenditure?
According to the reports of the central government, an additional expenditure of Rs. 21,975 crore will be there for providing pucca houses to the rural areas under the Gramin – Awas Yojana. But this extra financial burden will have to be borrowed from somewhere. So the government has decided to borrow the amount from the National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD). This borrowed amount from the NABARD will be paid off after the budget allocation of 2022.
- Use of SECC 2011 to identify the list of beneficiaries
In the year of 2011, a special census was done by the UPA government throughout the country. This census was named the Socio Economic and Caste Census of 2011 (SECC 2011). The main aim of this census was to draft the list of all the socially and economically backward masses of the country. This SECC census will be used as a medium to identify the list of beneficiaries under the Gramin plan of the P M Awas Yojana. The village panchayats and tehsils will also be consulted before drawing the list of beneficiaries under this rural housing scheme. This use of SECC will result in transparency of the project and the funds will reach the deserved ones.
- Use of technical support agency for the rural housing scheme
The central government wants to complete the project within the projected time interval that is within 2019. Also it will be very important to keep the expenditures within the sanctioned amount for the project. So to achieve the target within time, the government has planned to set up a national level supporting body to provide technical support to the entire project. This technical support will be carried away by the National Technical Support Agency (NTSA). This will ensure the proper project implementation and resource allocation and will help in removing the discrepancies from the system.
- Centre and state co-ordination in distribution of funds
Under the Gramin scheme of the P M Awas Yojana, the cost of the project will be carried out by both the centre and the state governments. Certain ratios are being decided for the cost allocation among the central governments and the state governments. In the plain areas, the central government will bear 60 % of the project cost per unit under this housing scheme and the rest 40 % will be borne by the state govt. However, in case of hilly areas and the North Eastern states, the central govt. will borne 90 % of the per unit expenditure and the remaining 10 % will be borne by the state govt.
- How the funds for building housed will be credited?
The funds allocated for the rural housing scheme under the P M Awas Yojana will reach the beneficiaries through direct fund transfer to the bank accounts of the listed and identified beneficiaries. This electronic transaction of fund allocation for rural housing development will ensure transparency in the housing scheme and the beneficiaries will get their sanctioned amount directly in their bank accounts. This measure by the govt. will ensure proper resource allocation and fair expenditure of the allocated fund for the Gramin – Awas Yojana.
- Labour allocation and labour training for the Awas Yojana
The beneficiaries under the P M Awas Yojana will get unskilled labour for a period of 90 days from the MGNREGA. For this, the government has already planning to start skill training of mansions so that they can work under the project.
Few data regarding the Gramin – Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana:
|Sl. No.||Project fields||Related data|
|1||Name of the project||Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Gramin|
|2||Project duration||2016 – 2019|
|3||Total project cost||Rs. 81,975 crore|
|4||Number of houses to be constructed||1 crore|
|5||Mode of beneficiary identification||Socio Economic and Caste Census of 2011 (SECC)|
|6||Main borrowing agency for extra expenditure||National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD)|
|7||Labour allocation body for building pucca houses||Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act|
Other Articles :