Pradhan Mantri Gramin Digital Saksharta Abhiyan
Since past couple of years the Modi government is keen to get rid of cash transactions across the nation. In recent times after the demonetization occurred, people almost run out of cash. Mobile wallets, e-banking, other methods of digital payments replaced the transactions in the economy. The real problem started when non-cash transactions take place in the rural areas. Most of the rural population is not literate enough to use Smartphone or digital devices to transact money or any kind of payment process.
Need for the program
- Looking at such scenario PM Modi has given a nod to the Rural Education Programme namely Pradhan Mantri Gramin Digital Saksharta Abhiyan. This is said to be one of the largest education programs in the world.
- In this program over 6 Cr households in the rural areas will be covered. The program will be held district wise. All the gram panchayats and district officers will be responsible for the implementation of the program.
- According to survey only 6% of total Indian rural population is literate. This program will help them to be updated with technology and digitisation in the nation. According to cabinet ministry once the rural population get educated about the digital devices, it will be much easier for them to participate in digital India.
The Program Details
- The District wise program will be implemented and by March 2019 the targeted villages will be covered.
- The basic aim of the program is to educate the rural households about the digital devices. After availing the program people will get to handle devices like Smartphone, tablets, Computers and laptops.
- The first phase of the program will be implemented until March 2019. The total budget allocated for the program for the first phase is Rs. 2,351.38 Cr. This amount is allotted for first phase only.
- Digital literacy Abhiyan will take place in several steps on yearly basis. In the first year of the program, i.e. 2016-17 the 25 Lakh candidates from the rural population will be covered under the program.
- In the second years i.e. financial year 2017-18 the target will reach to 275 Lakh and finally in the last year in first phase that is financial year 2018-19 the target will be set at 300 Lakh population from rural area.
- Gram Panchayats need to be registered under the program. Depending on the geographical location nearly 2, 50,000 gram panchayat from each location are required to register under the program. It is expected that each gram panchayat consists of 200-300 candidates.
- As of now the ministry didn’t mention about the age limit of the program. It can be expected that the eligible age criteria must be within 30-40 years, i.e. young people. Youth who mostly use digital devices.
- As the gram panchayats are required to register under the program, the candidates are needed to contact the panchayats for attending the program. No other way of registration is available for the candidates.
The program is officially declared on 8th of February 2017 in the Cabinet meeting. However the official implementation date is yet to be announced.