Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Key Features
The Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana is the housing scheme which was previously known as “housing for all”. The Prime Minister has re-launched this scheme and revived it for the year 2015 to 2022. Within this time period, the government aims to construct about 2 crore houses throughout the nation.
Basically this is aimed at those who are homeless. The government wants to provide shelter to the homeless around the country and by 2022 it aims to provide shelter to all citizens. However, the main focus will be on people who belong to the EWS and LIS categories.
What are the key features of PM Awas Yojana?
Since this housing scheme is aimed towards the needy, the following features will be implemented:
- While allotting the houses on the ground floors, the differently abled and the senior citizens will be given a higher priority
- All the applicants of this scheme must include the name of their mother and/or wife during the time of registration. This is done because the newly allotted house could be either allotted in the name of the matriarch of the family or in the name of jointly the male and female head of the family.
- During the construction procedure, eco friendly and environmentally methods will be used to build the houses. This will be a bold step towards creating an environmentally safe household for the individuals.
- The beneficiaries will be provided a 6.5% interest subsidy on the housing loans, for 15 years.
- How to calculate the subsidy and EMI rate?
The subsidy ensures that the amount that a home owner would have to pay for his overall loan would be reduced significantly. Currently the loan amount on housing is at 9%. However, the government would grant a 6.5% interest on these loan amounts and therefore they would be reduced by at least 3%. This is a great relief a person would be able to save greatly at his loan interest repayment.