Babu Jagjivan Ram Chhatrawas Yojana in Bihar – Eligibility, Application Form Process @scstwelfare.bih.nic.in (बाबू जगजीवन राम छात्रावास योजना)
Many schemes have been implemented by the central and the state governments, which were designed for providing financial and educational facilities for the students belonging to the backward classes. The Babu Jagjivan Ram Chhatrawas Yojana will provide the candidates who are interested in acquiring education with free accommodation in hostels, built with central and state assistance.
Launch details of the scheme
The actual launch of the scheme was done in 1989 – 1990. From the 1st of January, 2008, the scheme that was earlier funded and designed by the central government was developed and re-launched and most states took it up for the betterment of needy students. Social Justice and Empowerment Department had accountability of observing the system. The state government of Bihar was also included in the list and the implementation of the program was started recently. Now, the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes Welfare Department of Bihar will look after the tasks in the state. All details can be acquired from the link http://scstwelfare.bih.nic.in/docs/schemes/hostel_guideline/bjrcyojna.pdf. The official web page of the scheme is http://scstwelfare.bih.nic.in/hostel_scheme.htm.
Key features of the scheme
- Empowering the target castes – With the help of this program, the state will provide proper hostel facilities to the SC candidates. When the free lodging facility is given to them, they will be encouraged to pursue higher education.
- Increasing the overall literacy of the state – Lack of boarding facilities takes a negative toll on the overall literacy rate of the state. The scheme will ensure that SC students, living in remote areas also get a shot at academic excellence.
- Providing rooms in hostels – With the implementation of the scheme, the state authority will ensure that the selected candidates, both male and female SC candidates are provided with proper rooms to stay in the hostel of the school, college or university.
- Sharing the required funds – The money required for erecting or extending the hostel building will be borne by the central as well as the state authority. The percentage of financial assistance will vary according to the conditions.
- Providing furniture for the boarders – Apart from construction related financial assistance, the states will get Rs. 2500 from the coffers of central government, for each SC candidate. The money must be spent for purchasing table, cot, and chair.
- Ownership of the property –The financial assistance is not for acquiring the land. Only those agencies will get the monetary assistance who have land ownership on which, the hostel is erected.
- Discrete applications – Any institute that is interested in acquiring the monetary assistance, will have to submit separate applications for the erection of hostel for male and female students.
- Target student groups – The hostel facility will be provided to the students who are studying in classes 9 and 10 as well. Apart from this, the registered students of the colleges and universities will also get the opportunity.
- Other allowances – Apart from the facilities mentioned above, the candidates will also get readers and travel allowances so that they do not face any financial issues in pursuing their academic goals.
- Special arrangements for disabled pupils – Apart from the normal accommodation guidelines, the scheme have special reservations for SC the candidate who have proper disability certificate.
- Making special constructions for handicap students – It is mentioned in the scheme that the hostel must have some rooms that do not have any kind of barriers in front of the doors. There must be ramps for easy movement of wheelchairs.
- Capacity of the hostels – The draft of the scheme highlights that each of these hostels must have adequate rooms to accommodate at the most 100 candidates.
- Location of the hostel – The draft says that the state can construct a hostel in any area that has a total of 20% of the population under the SC category. Apart from this, an area that does not have such facilities will also be given preference.
- Acquiring land – The lands, on which the constructions of these hostels will be undertaken, must involve the active participation of the Gram Panchayat or such associated bodies, during its selection.
- Educational institutes with hostel – If the implementing agency is associated with an education institute, like a school or college, then those applications will be given more preference. The weightage of integrated systems is more than stand-alone boarding houses.
- Locational requirement for hostels for females – It is highlighted in the draft that all the hostels, which will house the female candidates cannot be located outside 200 meters radius of the academic institute.
- Proper security for hostel – Both male and female hostels need to have adequate security for the safety of the borders. The presence of a wall around the hostel for girls is a must and 24 hours security guard is mandatory as well.
- Tenure of completion of the hostel – It is the responsibility of the implementing agencies to see that the construction of the respective hostel does not take more than two years. The tenure will be calculated from the date of the application sanction.
- Providing advancement analysis – Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment Department will keep an eye on the status of the hostel construction and administration. The implementing agency will have to file updated reports often.
- Accommodation in regular hostels – It also highlights the need of accommodating the SC candidates in the normal hostels. The accommodation will be done on a proportional basis.
- Providing preference to wards of safai karamcharis – If the parents of the applying candidate are associated with any unclean profession like “safai karamcharis,” then these SC candidates will be given more preference.
- Design and expense approval – The agency or the institute that is responsible for the construction of the hostel will have to make the design and chart out an expense list and get it approved. The approval will only be given if it matches all standards.
- Housing the warden and the guard – Apart from the rooms for the candidates, the construction of double room unit for the warden and a single room unit for the security guard is a must.
- Providing salary for the warden and guard – The salary of the security guard and the warden of the hostel will be provided by the administration of the implementing agency or the educational institute.
- Budget of the scheme – For successful implementation of the scheme, huge sums of money is required. In the year 2015 – 2016, the central and the state governments allotted a total of 520 lakhs and the amount increased to Rs. 800 lakhs in the year 2016 – 2017.
Eligibility criteria for the scheme
- Residents of the state – Though the implementation of the scheme was earlier under the central government, the version that is launched by the state authority of Bihar, will allow residents of the state to get the benefits.
- Caste related criteria – As mentioned earlier, the free hostel accommodation and associated facilities will be given to the students who fall in the schedule caste category only.
- Income related criteria – The SC candidates who do not have sound economic background and find it difficult to meet the academic expenses will be able to apply under the scheme.
- Should pursue regular education – The scheme will only provide free boarding to SC candidates who are already a part of the regular academic routine and want to pursue higher education.
- Approval related criteria – Only those hostels will be approved that will be able to provide a complete list of eligible candidates along with the other documents. The approval will come from the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment and Castes and Scheduled Tribes Welfare Department.
- Finance related criteria – The institutes operating under the state authority will get funds for construction of the hostel. But the deemed institutes or NGOs, which fall in the private zone will get funds for developing an already existing hostel.
- Ownership related criteria – If the NGO or the implementing agency does not have the full ownership of the land on which the hostel is erected or is planned, then the financial assistance will not be provided.
Important documents required for the scheme
- Proof of residency – As only the official residents of Bihar will be able to apply for acquiring the benefits of the scheme, thus, each candidate needs to furnish proper documents for supporting the claim of residency.
- Caste certificate – Only students, who belong to the schedule caste, will get the advantage of getting free accommodation in the hostels. Attaching the caste certificate to the application form is a must.
- Aadhar and Voter ID card – The production of the Aadhar card and the Voter Card is a must. Both of these cards will assist the authority in making the verifications and will also be able to keep track of the students, getting the benefits of the scheme.
- BPL certificate – As the state government aims at empowering and encouraging the financially weak students in pursuing their dreams of higher education, thus, all the candidates must have access to BPL card.
- Academic certificate – The students, studying in high school, college or university will get the chance to opt for the free hostel accommodation. To get the benefits under the scheme, each candidate will need to provide the pertinent academic documents.
Funding details of the scheme
Male Hostel Funding
- In case of the construction of the boy’s hostel that is implemented by the state authority, the state government will have to pay about 50% of the total cost of the project. The rest of the expenses will be taken care of by the central funding agency.
- In case the boy’s hostel is to be constructed, under the watchful eyes of the Union Territory authority, the central government will take care of total cost of the erection of the hostel.
- In case the implementing agency, for the construction of the hostel is the central university or institute, then 90% of the expenses will be borne by the central government. Gathering 10% of the cost is the responsibility of the respective institute.
- If the task of constructing the student hostel is under is done by any university or institutes that operate under the state guidelines, the central authority will assist them with 45% expenditure. The remaining funding will be done in a ration of 10:45 by the respective institute and state.
- In case the whole implementation will be done by any private deemed institute or any NGO, then the central government will grant them only 45% of the total cost. The rest 55% must be gathered with the joint efforts of the respective considered university or NGO and the state or UT administration in 10:45 ratio. If the state of the administrative bodies of the Union Territory refuses to pay their portion, then the total responsibility falls on the other party.
Female Hostel Funding
- If any state government or Union Territory authority or any college/institute (operating under the guidelines of either the state or the central government) takes up the implementation task, they will get 100% coverage from the central authority.
- In case the responsibility of construction of hostel is placed with any dubbed university or any private NGO, the central coffers will release 90% funds that can be utilized not for the construction of the hostel but only for its expansion.
How to get the application form?
To get the benefits of the free hostel accommodation scheme, the interested candidates will have to get the appropriate application form from the office of the educational institute. The application form is only available via offline modes.
The successful application of the student welfare scheme will mean improving the chances of education for the poor and backward students of SC cast. If they get enhanced education facilities, then their chances at grabbing a better job opportunity will also get improved.
Other Schemes –
- Mukhyamantri Gyan Protsahan Yojana in Chhattisgarh (MGPY)
- MahaLabharthi Portal Online Registration Maharashtra
- Nitish Kumar 7 resolves in Bihar
- Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana