Ekushe Annapurna Scheme West Bengal Machh-bhaat Fish Food Meal Thali at Rs. 21/-
West Bengal government has announced about the fish meal for the economically weaker sections at lower price. After Rajasthan, Andhra Pradesh, Orissa and some other states, now West Bengal will have such meal-stalls across the state for distribution of low-cost meal. The scheme will be names ‘Ekushe Annapurna’ (Food at Rs. 21/-). It will start soon on pilot basis in Kolkata. Later on it will start on regular basis across the state.
The scheme was announced by the state government of West Bengal in mid-February 2018. From the month of March, the state will start implementing this scheme on pilot basis. From 1st of May 2018, the state will start operating the scheme permanently when there will be 100 of such meal stalls across the state.
- Objective: Offering meal at low cost has started in all other states. The objective of doing so is to feed large number of people who belong to economically weaker section and unable to buy costly food for their lunch or dinner.
- Menu (Thali details): Under this scheme each candidate will get Rice, Daal, Sabzi (Vegetables) and a piece of fish (50 gm). All will be available at Rs. 21/- only. Menu will be fixed for now. However the authority is planning to add some more options to the menu later.
- Implementation: The scheme will be implemented on district level. Each district will have a stall located in front of office of District Magistrate. Battery-run cars will be the stalls that sell food.
- Pilot basis scheme: As mentioned that the scheme will start implementing on pilot basis, as of now only 5 locations have been selected for it. In Kolkata, Shyambazar, DLF in New Town, Gariahat, Salt Lake and Ruby Crossing will have this food stalls. From March 2018, pilot scheme will start operating.
- Partners: The scheme will be implemented in partnership with state fisheries’ department, Benfish. Some of these mentioned locations have Benfish Car stalls already. State authority hasn’t announced about them yet. Whether existing Benfish outlets will sell this food or not is not cleared yet.
Other States and Meal Services
While talking about other states, Tamil Nadu was the first among all the states that started Amma Canteen in the name of Jayalalitha in the year 2013. After that Aam Aadmi Canteen in Delhi, Indira Amma Canteens in Uttarakhand, Annapurna Rasoi in Rajasthan, Ahaar Centres in Orissa and NTR Anna Canteens in Andhra Pradesh are the low-cost food services in India.
Nabanna, the state government office in Kolkata, West Bengal, has declared about the scheme long time back. It will soon start operating with the help of Benfish Company. By the month of May 2018, nearly 100 stalls will be started.
Other Schemes –
- National Overseas Scholarship Scheme
- Free bus passes scheme Karnataka
- Kanyashree Yojana in West Bengal
- West Bengal Schemes and Yojana