How to Generate Virtual ID (VID) for Aadhaar Number using UIDAI | UIDAI introduces new two layer security system to improve Aadhar Privacy
The UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India)- has managed to implement and introduce better authentication process for virtual identity systems. The new introduction has been made by the authority with an aim to offer citizens with much improved security and protection for their Digital Data available. Under the new regulations the authorities have restricted the access to the virtual data system with aim to breach the security measures.
UIDAI has started a new Virtual ID facility with which leaking out of Aadhaar details can be stooped. It is a temporary ID that will be cancelled after a stipulated time. It can easily be used in place of Aadhaar number while authenticating KYC. It will help to protect the Aadhaar information for any person using virtual ID.
- The UIDAI had made its first concerns about implementing and improving the security of the virtual system in the month of November 2017.
- According to the latest updates from the sources and UIDAI, the team of professionals has been working to improve and make the system better since 2016 July.
- The court shall provide with its statements on Aadhar authentication on January 17th 2018 in a sessions hearing.
- UIDAI has already notified that it shall be making better technical updates to the entire Aadhar system by March 1st All other agencies that make use of the Aadhar system will be upgraded latest by 1st June 2018.
Aadhaar Virtual ID
Aadhaar Virtual ID is a temporary number created by the UIDAI system. It consists of 16 digits numerical code that is recorded to the back-end of individual’s aadhaar card. This can be generated anytime by the Aadhaar Card holder to authenticate KYC.
Virtual ID of Aadhaar will be able to access basic details of the card holder. Name, Address, Phone Number and biometric details will be available in Aadhaar Virtual ID. Other details or the 12-digit aadhaar number will not be disclosed to anyone.
According to the department, Verhoeff Algorithm is used in generation of virtual ID. The last digit of the 16-digit ID will have this checksum verhoeff algorithm which will prevent creating more than one Virtual IDs at the same time for one Aadhaar number. There will not be any forgery here in virtual ID.
How to Generate Virtual ID
- Aadhaar virtual ID can be generated by the aadhaar user anytime through online process. Users need to visit the official Aadhaar website https://uidai.gov.in. The Home page will be opened.
- On the Home page, user must find the option ‘Virtual ID (VID) Generator’ from the ‘Aadhaar Services’ option list. By clicking on this option, the user will be redirected to the VID generator page.
- On the next page, https://resident.uidai.gov.in/web/resident/vidgeneration, the user will get two empty text boxes given. First one is for the Aadhaar Number and the second one is for the security verification code. The user has to provide their aadhaar number in the first box and then the given security code in the next.
- After filling up the mandatory fields, the system will send an OTP to the registered mobile number of the user. The OTP will have to be entered afterwards as per instruction.
- On the second part of the VID generation page, the received OTP must be entered in the text box given. Along with that select the option whether to generate/retrieve VID. Finally users must click on the submit button to generate the VID.
- After submitting the form, the virtual ID will be generated. It will be shown on the screen. The created ID will be messaged to the users’ registered mobile number.
Generating VID through Mobile App
- Aadhaar Virtual IDs can be generated through the mobile App as well. UIDAI has introduced mAadhaar App, available on Android platform, for aadhaar services. The users have to download the App to use it.
- After installing the app on your device, provide your Aadhaar card 12-digit number to start the App. After providing the number, an OTP will be sent to your registered mobile number. Enter the OTP to proceed.
- Once you enter the App by providing the OTP, you will be asked to generate a password. This password will be secured codes that will be needed to login to the App every time you open it.
- After generating the password, log in to the app. Find the option Generate VID from the options and tap on it. It will ask you to enter your password to proceed.
- After entering the password, you will have to go to the Virtual ID section. There, in the section, type any random 16 numerical digits in the text box given. After doing this, a virtual ID will be generated and sent it to the registered mobile number.
Benefits of Aadhaar Virtual ID
- Virtual Ids are the replacement of Aadhaar numbers. That means all the agencies that are asking for KYC authentication can have this ID rather than the confidential unique Aadhaar ID.
- It is temporary. After a point of time the ID gets deactivated. So no one can misuse it or can tamper it to get confidential information of the person. One virtual ID can be created against one Aadhaar number at a time.
- It is secured as it does not access much of the information of the person. It only accesses basic information and finger print details for authentication of KYC.
- In earlier times, all the agencies have to save individual’s Aadhaar details in their system for future references. It was a tedious task for the agencies to handle such huge data. But now they do not have to do that. They can use virtual ID for their KYC purposes anytime.
- Each virtual ID has a stipulated time of revoke. Depending on the agency and the service, virtual ID’s expiry time has been set by UIDAI. They are temporary and cannot be active for a long time.
- From 1st March 2018, the use of Virtual ID will be started. According to the government, from 1st June 2018, using virtual ID for KYC authentication will be mandatory in India for any agency or services.
- This virtual ID can be created by the aadhaar card holder only. Agencies that authenticate KYC will not be able to generate virtual ID for any user.
- The UIDAI has started limited KYC system. Under this system, users can provide only that much of information that is required for KYC authentication. Agencies will record only required information for KYC, provided by the user through limited KYC system.
There are many speculations regarding Aadhaar leaking information in India now. To remove and reduce such confusion created among citizens, the UIDAI has launched the concept of Virtual ID. It was stated by the authority that now it will be easier to link your aadhaar without disclosing any of your important and confidential information.
- Rehbar-E-Sehat Scheme In Jammu And Kashmir
- Mukhya Mantri Tirth Yatra Yojana in Delhi
- Link Aadhar card with EPF (UAN) Register
- Process to Link Aadhaar Card with Mobile Number using 14546 IVRS call and OTP